Monday, January 25, 2010

Lemon Cheescake



This isn't vegan!!The recipe originally was, actually, but I really didn't like the taste of the veg cream "cheese" that I had. Sooo, I just substituted everything and gave it to my family:]. It's really easy to convert back to the original though; I used the same measurements and everything just switched out veg "cheese" for the real thing, egg-replacer for eggs.. you catch my drift. Anyway, I'm guessing it was pretty good because the whole thing was gone in just a few hours haha.

Serves: 10-12
Crust:
(you can use a store bought crust for this to save time, I made one)
1 + 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
5 tablespoons of melted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Filling:
3 eggs
6 tablespoons of water
24 ounces cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest (remember, only the yellow part!)

Topping:
fresh, sliced strawberries (long-ways)
sliced lemon

Lightly oil a 9 in. springform pan.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Mix together the graham cracker crumbs and melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon (if using) until moist. Firmly press the mixture evenly throughout the bottom of the pan. Bake until it is lightly browned and firm (about 10-15 min.).
Keep your oven on 350 degrees[:
Using a hand mixer (or if you don't have one you can use a standard mixer), beat the cream cheese and the eggs together for about 30 seconds until creamy. Mix in the sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Scrape the batter onto the crust, making sure the top is smooth. Bake for about 50 - 55 minutes, just until the center barely jiggles when you tap it (It's okay if it puffs up or turns a golden brown). Let it cool in the pan for at least an hour so that it stays intact when you unmold it(you could even refrigerate it to make sure it's completely cooled).
Line the edges with the strawberries and garnish with a couple of lemon slices, then cover and refrigerate it for at least two hours before serving.

**tip: Try not to over-beat the batter or else the cheescake will crack.**

This was my first time EVER using a spring form pan. I love them now[:
Also, my dad just recently got a hand mixer! I don't know how I ever got by without one<3 I think one of these days I'm going to get myself a light green one, they're just too cute. Besides, I'm not sure my parents would appreciate me stealing theirs when I move out..

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me