Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tofu Scramble



I made this a couple of days ago and just now got the picture uploaded:]. It's a simple, modified version of the scrambled tofu recipe in Vegan With A Vengeance<3 (in my opinion, all of you should own a copy of this book). I never ever eat breakfast -it usually makes me sick- but I'd never had scrambled tofu before so I decided to try it. It was really good! My whole family ate it, even my sister and her vegiphobe fiance (although, I'm not sure he knew that he wasn't actually eating eggs, haha). So I was so excited about it that I felt like I needed to share this recipe with all of you, whoever you are [:

Serves: 5-6
Scramble:
1 tablespoon canola oil (it calls for olive oil, but I'm allergic:[ )
1 medium sized yellow onion, chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
2 cups thinly sliced baby bella mushrooms
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained
juice of 1/2 lemon
chives(optional)

Spice blend:
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed with fingers (I didn't have any so I used marjoram)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 + 1/2 teaspoons salt

Salsa

Heat the oil in a skillet on medium heat. saute the onions until softened and golden (about 3 minutes); add the mushrooms and saute them for about 5 minutes; add the garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Mix in the spice blend for about 15 seconds, or until well combined.
Crumble in the tofu with your fingers (make sure not to crush it! you want it chunky). Cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally, scraping the bottom of the skillet to prevent sticking (if it does start to stick, you can add splashes of water or lower the heat a little). Mix in the lemon juice and chives. Take off of the heat.
Serve with salsa.

**This would also taste good served with guacamole**
**If you like the salsa with it, you could add one cup of salsa at the end and cook for a minute extra**

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me