Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Lemon Poppyseed Teacake




This was really good! I was a little hesitant to try this recipe again since the first time it ended up a big mess (I used different ingredients), but I'm glad I did. It was already gone about two hours after coming out of the oven[: I didn't have as many poppy seeds as the recipe calls for so I halved the whole thing.

Serves: 10
Teacake:
2/3 cup soy milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup poppy seeds
1 + 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 + 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oil
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/3 cup applesauce ( I use unsweetened Granny Smith[: )
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons pure lemon extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly grease a 7 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan.
In a small bowl, combine the soy milk, vinegar, and poppy seeds; set aside. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Add the oil, agave nectar, applesauce, vanilla and lemon extracts, and lemon zest to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Incorporate the soy milk-poppy seed and mix just until all of the ingredients are blended.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake on the center rack for 35 minutes, turning the pan 180 degrees after 18 minutes.
Let the teacake cool in the pan for about 20 minutes before cutting.

**Don't open the oven door except at the 18 min. mark and when it's finished!**
**If you don't have lemon extract, don't substitute for actual lemon juice! The acidity will ruin everything haha trust me.**

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me